Archie Thompson, one of Australia’s over-age players for The 2008 Beijing Olympics is set to have played his last game for the Olyroos after sustaining an ankle injury in Australia’s 1-0 loss against highly fancied Argentina. Thompson was unlucky to score on numerous occasions against the side featuring Barcelona star Lionel Messi. Archie created countless opportunities for himself, only to push the ball wide.
Nikita Rukavytsya, a young player from Perth Glory is set to be the player to replace Archie in the starting line-up. Nikita Rukavytsya came on towards the end of the Argentina game and should have scored with his first touch in the game only to push it wide, a common situation for the Olyroos.
This injury crisis comes just before a do or die game for the Olyroos against Ivory Coast in Beijing tonight.
If the Olyroos do happen to lose tonight than Graham Arnold is likely to lose his job after an appalling job with the Olyroos not winning a match in over 5 games. As many believed would be the case, Australia’s problem has been up front with the team lacking fire power a case mentioned in the following article: http://australia.footballblog.co.uk/what-was-arnold-thinking.html.
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s win at Brighton & Hove Albion
- Barcelona midfielder Arthur signs five-year contract with Juventus
- Former Arsenal star advises Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to leave the Gunners
- Everton and Liverpool Play Out a Goalless Snooze-fest at Goodison Park
- Valiant Villa Succumb to Chelsea’s Constant Pressure