Barcelona will be wearing a new shirt sponsor, Qatar Airways for the 2013-14 season. The current shirt sponsor Qatar Foundation will remain until the end of the 2012-13 season. The sponsor will feature on the 13-14 shirt produced by Nike.
Qatar Airways headquartered in Doha, Qatar is the state-owned flag carrier of Qatar. The airline was voted the best in the world for the past two years. CEO of Qatar Airways said he was “delighted” his firm will be able to have their sponsor on the Barcelona shirt. The deal spans over six years worth over 170 million euros.
This deal dwarfs the Qatar Foundation deal worth 210 million euros. This will make it the first time Barcelona have had a commercial based sponsor on their shirts. Airline sponsorship is nothing new as Emirates currently sponsor Arsenal, AC Milan PSG and Etihad sponsor Manchester City.
- Serie A clubs vote in favour of season restart by mid-June
- Premier League aiming for a restart in early June
- Manchester United to resist bids for highly-rated English goalkeeper: report
- Two Chelsea players who could head through the exit door this summer
- Arsenal become first Premier League side to confirm voluntary player pay-cuts