BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Stamford Bridge Date: 15:00, Saturday 22 September
Chelsea’s new superstar Oscar is expected to be fit after his ankle injury against Juventus on Wednesday. Both Daniel Sturridge and Marko Marin will both miss out again through similar hamstring injuries.
Stoke’s Andy Wilkinson will begin his three match ban after accepting violent conduct charge. The Potters could have their midfielder James Ness return from injury.
Chelsea will be looking to get back to winning ways after a three match winless streak, however only one of those games was in the Premier League. The game ended 0-0 against QPR . Despite their goalless draw at Loftus Road last Saturday, The Blues still sit top of the Premier League.
So far this season Stoke have drawn all 4 of their games, including 0-0 and 1-1 draws against Arsenal and Manchester City respectively, and would gladly take another draw against a fresh and revamped Chelsea squad capable of introducing them to a world of hurt.
Stoke have not won at Stamford Bridge in the league since 1974. That stat should give Chelsea fans some belief that they can at least take a point from the game.
If fit Oscar should start after his exceptional Champions league debut.
Although I think it’s a shame it has taken some Chelsea fans this long to realise how special this boy is. I mean 19 goals and 20 assists in 70 matches kind of speaks for itself for a then 20 year old.
- Stoke have not won at Stamford Bridge in the league since a 1-0 victory on 27 April 1974.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their eight Premier League games against Stoke (W6, D2), and have scored 17 goals to Stoke’s three.
- The Blues have not recorded back-to-back goalless draws in Premier League matches since September 2004, when they were held by Aston Villa and then Tottenham.
- The Blues have won five of their last six Premier League games at Stamford Bridge.
- This one I’m going to keep posting till it happens…
John Terry has scored 49 goals for Chelsea in all competitions and is one off 50.
- The Potters have gone 10 league games without a victory – their longest winless run in the Premier League. They last collected three points on 7 April, when they beat Wolves 2-1.
- They have drawn seven of their last eight Premier League games (D7, L1), including the last five dating back to last season.
- Stoke are the second team to draw their opening four Premier League games, after Crystal Palace in 1992-93. No team has drawn their first five Premier League matches.
- Peter Crouch has scored in the Potters’ last three league and cup games.
- Six of the eight league goals scored by or against Stoke this season have come from set-pieces.
Chelsea have been in a spot of bother recently, failing to win in their last 3 matches, and will have to face a strong Stoke who drew 1-1 with Manchester City last week. In my opinion Chelsea have to stop playing Mikel and Lampard together in order to start winning. Sadly as a Chelsea fan I think this will end in yet another draw for Stoke.
Chelsea 1-1 Stoke