Malta goalkeeper Justin Haber made his Sheffield United debut as Kevin Blackwell’s men kicked off their pre-season preperations with a 1-0 win over Maltese side Floriana.
Haber completed a full 90 minutes and kept a clean sheet on his former home ground, the Hibernians Stadium, as he stakes his claim for the United goalkeeper’s jersey following Paddy Kenny’s positive drugs test.
A smart reaction save from the Maltese international denied Daniel Milovanovic an equaliser, after Brian Howard had put United ahead from the penalty spot. The Blades’ two trialists, Glen Little and Julian Gray, had differing fortunes – the former frustrated by tight defending, and the latter creating a number of great chances to extend United’s lead.
Ultimately, however, the talking point was Kyle Naughton’s impending transfer to the Premier League and as Haber celebrated his first game in a United shirt, their mercurial young defender was introduced as a 79th minute substitute for what is probably his last.
United: Haber, Brown, Morgan (Walker ht), Kilgallon (Bromby ht), Foster, Little (Cotterill ht), Montgomery (Quinn ht), Howard (Williamson ht; Naughton 79), Gray (Reid ht), Robertson, Sharp (Ward ht). Sub not used: Bennett.
- Serie A clubs vote in favour of season restart by mid-June
- Premier League aiming for a restart in early June
- Manchester United to resist bids for highly-rated English goalkeeper: report
- Two Chelsea players who could head through the exit door this summer
- Arsenal become first Premier League side to confirm voluntary player pay-cuts