Petr Cech dropped a cross and let Turkey back into the game, as Nihat had an easy tap-in. Everyone thought we were going to see the first ever penalty shoot out in the group stages of a European Championships, but barely a minute later, Nihat was put through on goal and blasted his second goal of the game past Cech. Turkey managed to come back from two down to win and reach the knockout phase.
Drama in injurt time meant Tuncay went into goal after Turkey’s goalkeeper Volkan stupidly pushed over Jan Koller, the added time rolled on but eventually Turkey won a game they looked to have lost and will play Croatia in the quarterfinals.
Arda Turan scored with a solid right-foot finish from Hamit Altintop’s pull back from the right, which got the Turks back into it at 2-1 down, after Koller had got the Czech Republics opener and Jaroslav Plasil met Libor Sionko’s deep cross to double the Republics lead. Nobody watching the game could have expected what came next!
- Serie A clubs vote in favour of season restart by mid-June
- Premier League aiming for a restart in early June
- Manchester United to resist bids for highly-rated English goalkeeper: report
- Two Chelsea players who could head through the exit door this summer
- Arsenal become first Premier League side to confirm voluntary player pay-cuts