Connect with us


Sixy football from Saints put them back to 2nd in League 1

Oldham 0-6 Southampton

Southampton went into the game with 5 changes to the side that beat Blackpool over the weekend with Kelvin Davis, Richard Chaplow, Jose Fonte, Alex Chamberlain and Radhi Jaidi all returning to the starting line up with Kelvin Davis taking the captains arm band because of the absence of Dean Hammond from the line up. Before the game got started the internet was full of rumours of why Jason Puncheon had been left out of the squad and if fans had officially seen Puncheon play his last game for Saints after making  his intentions clear that he wishes to leave the club for a Premiership side.

Also Sir Alex Ferguson was in the crowd this evening either making notes for Saints FA Cup tie with Manchester United later this month, keeping a eye on Ben Amos who is on loan to Oldham from Man U or a nasty rumour that he may be also keep a eye on Chamberlain as was a Liverpool scout in the crowd. Before the match started both sets of fans and players observed a 1 minute silence in remembrance of former Oldham player Richard Butcher who passed away earlier this week.

Saints knew this would more than likely not be a walk in the park seeing Oldham had only lost one game at home this season. Saints got off to a confident start against Oldham with a early chance for Lallana which was saved. Yet Saints fans didn’t need to wait long before the first goal of the game. On 9 minutes Lallana’s freed up Lambert, who then layed it back to Chamberlain, who powered it into the top of the net from 6 yards out.

After the goal Southampton had complete control of the game and seemed to be completely out classing Oldham. The game seemed to slow down until the 38th minute when Richardson’s long ball found Lallana and he then smashed the shot into the right corner from just outside of the penalty area. The Oldam keeper managed to get to it but it slipped through his arms and into the goal. Saints seemed to be running away with the game. Then Oldham had their only real chance of the game as Stephen crossed to Tounkara who’s shot was defected off of Jaidi and seemed to hit the post and go out. Half Time.

Rickie Lambert of Southampton curls his free kick around the wall to score the opening goal of the third round match of The FA Cup, sponsored by E.ON, between Southampton and Luton Town at St. Marys Stadium on January 2, 2010 in Southampton, England.

Saints came out after the break strong and on the 48th minute saw Chamblain’s cross get met by Guly who shot unstoppably hit the back of the net. After this Saints continued the one way traffic with Chamblains 30 yard screamer hitting the back of the net only to be dissallowed because he was offside. This wasn’t to matter because 5 minutes later on the 68 minute Chaplow scored from 12 yards out which deflate Oldham even more.

Oldham seemed completely lost at this point breaking free on occassion but no attack seeming it would come of anything. Then on the 74 minute substitute Oscar Gobern’s shot was parried by the keeper only finding Rickie Lambert who slotted it home into a open net for Southampton. To make matters worse for Oldham goalkeeper Amos 10 minutes later substitute Barnard went completely around him and then scoring rounding of a amazing evening for Saints and a 5th win on the trot in all completions and a awful night for Oldham.

Saints next game is against Notts County on Saturday and they will have to keep this winning mentality up to keep pressure on League 1 leaders Brighton.

(Visited 93 times, 1 visits today)
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts


More Football Sites

More in Southampton