Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff told the Scotsman newspaper that in order to stop Portugal, his team need to neutralise the threat of Cristiano Ronaldo. “We have a special plan, but I cannot reveal anything”, said the former Germany striker, who scored the golden goal in the final of Euro 96.
That was the last time Germany progressed as far as the quarter-finals of the European Championships and Bierhoff knows that in order to repeat their triumph this time tey will need to raise their game in Basel tonight. “There’s no doubt that we have to play better than in our last two games,” he added, “We showed in qualifying that we can play very good [football] and beat the best teams but just need to prove it against a very good side.”
- Serie A clubs vote in favour of season restart by mid-June
- Premier League aiming for a restart in early June
- Manchester United to resist bids for highly-rated English goalkeeper: report
- Two Chelsea players who could head through the exit door this summer
- Arsenal become first Premier League side to confirm voluntary player pay-cuts