Chelsea Football Club have a lot of young talent hoping to get through the ranks and make it into the Chelsea first team. But to do this they need to show their credentials out on loan and prove to Jose Mourinho that they are good enough to break into the Chelsea X1. Chelsea already have a very strong, young team which makes it tougher for players coming through the academy to have their dreams come true, to walk out onto the green grass of Stamford Bridge wearing the Blue of Chelsea. These are the players that are proving that in the first half of the season that they may have what it takes to break into the Chelsea first team:
10) Christian Atsu- Christian Atsu (21), a surprise signing for Chelsea at the end of last summers transfer window was straight away loaned out to Vitesse Arnhem, Chelsea’s feeder club. He has been given a chance to play for Vitesse Arnhem 8 times so far this season in the Eredivisie, including participating in their last 5 matches, which have all ended up in a Vitesse Arnhem win. During his loan spell he has also contributed with 1 goal and 2 assists to help Vitesse Arnhem continue their charge for the Eredivisie title. How long does Christian Atsu have to wait to put on a Chelsea shirt?
9) Marko Marin- Marko Marin (24), the oldest player on the list, when signing for Chelsea was dubbed the ‘German Messi’ but didn’t get much of a chance to prove himself in his first year at Chelsea playing 6 times and scoring once. As he wasn’t offered first team football at Chelsea he was loaned out to Sevilla to try and help them in their quest to gain Champions League football. Marko Marin hasn’t been used as much as he would want in the Bundasliga, only playing 7 matches. But, when given his chance to play in the Europa League he has shown why people were calling him the ‘German Messi’ playing 3 matches, scoring twice and assisting twice. Will this loan spell allow Marko Marin to finally get a staring position in the Chelsea team?
8) Patrick Van Aanholt- Patrick Van Aanholt (23) has been a member of the Chelsea squad for 5 years now, but has rarely broken into the first team, only playing 3 times, scoring once in a blue Chelsea shirt. He has been sent out on loan 5 times now and needs to prove now that he is good enough to play for Chelsea whilst on loan at Vitesse Arnhem. He has proven to be a rock in defence and has helped Vitesse Arnhem to 5 clean sheets in 15 appearances, including scoring 2 times and creating 3 goals. Will Patrick Van Aanholt finally get his turn after 6 years?
7) Patrick Bamford- Patrick Bamford (20) has only ever worn the blue of Chelsea once, for the reserve team, scoring 2 times. But, this season, whilst out on loan at Milton Keynes Dons he is sparking a lot of interest, playing extremely well. He has played 18 times so far in the Sky Bet League 1 and scored 11 times, also creating 2 goals. Will this brilliant start to the season continue for Patrick Bamford?
6) Josh McEachran- Josh McEachran (20) is the most capped Chelsea player on this list, wearing the blue shirt on 22 occasions, including 2 appearances in the Champions League for Chelsea. Josh McEachran also was awarded the Chelsea Young Player of the Year award in the 2010/2011 season. In recent years he hasn’t had the same chance as he did under Carlo Ancelotti and has been sent out on loan to further his footballing skills. Most recently, he has been loaned out to Watford (under former Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola) where he has played 7 times in the Championship. Will Jose Mourinho give Josh McEachran the playing time that he got under Carlo Ancelotti?
5) Nathaniel Chalobah- Nathaniel Chalobah (19) is the youngest player on the list and has proved in previous loan moves that he has the credentials to be a Chelsea great in the future. He has never played for the Chelsea first team, but has captained the Youth team and Chelsea reserves, which proves that one day Nathaniel Chalobah will be a Chelsea star. But, he is still 19, so being given the chance to go out on loan will help him further his career. He is currently out on loan at Nottingham Forrest where he has played 7 times and scored twice. How many years until Nathaniel Chalobah’s dream will come true, to play for Chelsea?
4) Lucas Piazon- Lucas Piazon (19) has had 1 appearance in the Barclays Premier League, creating 1 assist during the match. He was also apart of Chelsea tour of the USA, scoring an equaliser against PSG to score his first goal for the club. He was also Chelsea’s Young Player of the Season in the 2011/2012 season. He is another member of the squad that is loaned out to Chelsea’s feeder club Vitesse Arnhem and has played 14 times for the Eredivisie team, scoring 8 times and assisting 7 times. He has been a key member of the squad and has been a reason why they are top of the league and fighting for the title. Will Lucas Piazon be the 5th Brazilian in the Chelsea squad?
3) Thorgan Hazard- Thorgan Hazard (20), the younger brother of Chelsea starlet Eden Hazard has had a cracking start to the season for Belgium team Zulte Waregem being apart of the starting X1 for all 18 matches so far this season, scoring and assisting 9 times to help Zulte into a Champions League qualification spot. He also played for Zulte Waregem in the Europa League group stage, where they were sadly knocked out on goal difference, playing 7 times and scoring and assisting twice. Might we have 2 Hazards starting in the Chelsea X1 at some point?
2) Romelu Lukaku- Romelu Lukaku (20) forced through a loan spell at Everton because he wanted to play matches after only managing 10 appearances for Chelsea in the 2011/2012 season. After impressing for West Brom in the 2012/2013 season, scoring 17 times in 35 appearances no wonder that their was a giant queue of team lining up to try and loan this young, Belgium star. Finally, he joined Everton and has scored 8 Barclays Premier League Goals in 13 appearances so far this season also, getting 3 assist. Is Romelu Lukaku the player Chelsea are missing upfront this season?
1) Thibaut Courtois- Thibaut Courtois (21) this season has proven that he is one of the best young goalkeepers around and one day will be one of the best goalkeepers in the world! He has been out on loan at Athletico Madrid for the last 3 years now and has been put up against some of the best players in the world including Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He has faced the likes of Fernando Torres, Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Frank Lampard, when Chelsea lost 4-1 to Athletico Madrid in the Super Cup. This season he has helped Athletico Madrid to 2nd place in the Liga BBVA only 3 points behind Barcelona with a game in hand, as he has only conceded 9 goals in 15 matches, keeping 7 clean sheets. He has also helped Athletico Madrid into the round of 16 in the Champions League playing 5 games in the group stages with 2 clean sheets and conceding 3 goals. With Petr Cech aging will this be Thibaut Cortouis’ year?
But the real question is How many of these players will become regulars in the Chelsea first team? Only time will tell…