This blog is designed to choose the greatest ever Manchester City player in my opinion (remember I am only young!). I shall publish one of these every now and again until finally we reach the best player ever to have embraced Maine Road or The City of Manchester Stadium!
*DRUM ROLL PLEASE!*
NUMBER 8 >>>
2001-2003, 78 appearances, 11 goals
He was only at Manchester City for just under two years, and yet Ali Benarbia did enough in that brief stay and captured the hearts of the City faithful. Outrageously gifted, I’ll forever lament the fact we didn’t pick him up when he was younger. Wonderful at creating space for himself with an instinct for a pass that showed his superb perception, Benarbia became a firm favourite. The Algerian midfielder’s eye for a killer pass, his skill on the ball and his ability to chip in with a few goals were all major factors in the success of the team in 2002, if only we had him now to link up with Superman! The talented player scored some outrageous goals at Maine Road. Diving headers, majestic 30 yards freekicks, 12 yards pile drivers, your name it, Ali could stick it in the back of the net! Benarbia certainly rates higher than his fellow midfielder Berkovic as he was more of a team player and he was the pinnacle of a stylish team to watch.
- Serie A clubs vote in favour of season restart by mid-June
- Premier League aiming for a restart in early June
- Manchester United to resist bids for highly-rated English goalkeeper: report
- Two Chelsea players who could head through the exit door this summer
- Arsenal become first Premier League side to confirm voluntary player pay-cuts