Francois Clerc is one of the eight Olympique Lyon players that have been named in Domenechâ€™s provisional squad for Euro 2008. He is 25 years old and his best position is at right-back. He started his career at Olympique Lyon in 2002, and has remained loyal to his childhood club. He was loaned out for the 2004/05 season at Toulouse, but since then has gone to establish himself as a regular for Lyon on the right flank of defence. His main rival at the club is Anthony Reveillere. During his time at the club, Lyon have ALWAYS triumphed in Ligue 1.
For France, Clerc made his debut on the 11th October 2006 in a game against the Faroe Islands. Since then, he was used as a back-up to France regular Willy Sagnol. An injury to the latter in 2007 meant that Francois could get his chance to show what heâ€™s worth. He has made a total of 9 appearances for France. Sagnol is expected to be the right-back in Euro 2008, and if Clerc participates, it will be as a substitute due to an injury or very bad performance from Willy Sagnol.
- Wayne Rooney: Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin deserves an international call-up before Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham
- The best young kids expected to feature in the Premier League this weekend
- Report: Hakim Ziyech describes Chelsea winger as ‘crazy’ ahead of Chelsea clash with Manchester United
- Edouard Mendy usurps Kepa Arrizabalaga as Chelsea first-choice goalkeeper, Lampard confirms
- Carlo Ancelotti calls Virgil van Dijk’s foul on James Rodriguez ‘mistimed’ ahead of Everton clash with Southampton