It’s fair to say that South Africa are in arguably the most competitive group of the World Cup. France are renowned as a strong side, whilst Mexico and Urugay will provide South-American flair and pace. But how do the bookmakers think the Bafana Bafana will fare against these sides? France are clear favourites to win Group A – as expected – with South Africa best-priced at 6/1 with Boylesports. Worth a tenner?
When facing Mexico, South Africa are best-priced at 15/8 with Victor Chandler to win. As many saw during their friendly against England, Mexico are quick, and should not be too affected by the altitude. But their defence had clear gaping holes – something South Africa will have to take advantage of. South Africa are also underdogs for their match with Uruguay, best-priced at 9/5 with Paddy Power. Uruguay have a similar style to Mexico, but their attack may be considered more prolific. The bookmakers clearly believe France will be too strong for South Africa, making the hosts huge 11/4 outsiders. However, France have been known to falter against the lesser-known sides; remember Senegal?
To win the tournament, South Africa are a best-priced 210/1 with Betfair. Don’t waste your money. A decent bet at 9/1 with Paddy Power looks to be ‘South Africa to be the top performing African side’. Algeria, Ghana, and the Ivory Coast have tough groups, whilst Nigeria’s form is unpredictable to say the least. Getting out of the group stage may be enough.
- Ryan Giggs warns ‘it could be 15, 20 years’ before Manchester United win their next Premier League title
- Confirmed West Ham team news to face Liverpool on Saturday
- Joe Hart opens up on why he joined Tottenham while and the role of Jose Mourinho
- Confirmed Chelsea team list to face Krasnodar in the Champions League
- What the new Football Leadership Diversity Code means for English clubs