Hosts South Africa’s preliminary squad for the World Cup has been announced by coach Carlos Alberto Parreira prior to the tournament which starts in June.
The big omission is Nasief Morris who plays for Real Santander in La Liga, there are nineteen home based players in all on the list with the remaining ten playing across Europe. Those names include Steven Pienaar of Everton, West Ham striker Benni McCarthy and Portsmouth midfielder Aaron Mokoena.
Nasief Morris misses out
The first match of the 2010 World Cup features the hosts against Mexico, at Soccer City in Johannesburg on June 11th. The Bafana Bafana will announce their final squad on June 1st, 10 days before the tournament begins when six more players will miss out.
29 Man World Cup Squad
Goalkeepers: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Shu-Aib Walters (Maritzburg United), Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld, Germany) and Moeneeb Joseph (Orlando Pirates).
Defenders: Matthew Booth, Siboniso Gaxa, Innocent Mdledle (all Mamelodi Sundowns), Bongani Khumalo (Supersport United), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa, Israel), Aaron Mokoena (Portsmouth, England), Bryce Moon (PAOK, Greece), Anele Ngcongca (Racing Genk, Belgium), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows), Lucas Thwala (Orlando Pirates).
Midfielders: Surprise Moriri, Franklin Cale (both Mamelodi Sundowns), Lance Davids (Ajax Cape Town), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Fulham, England), Andile Jali, Teko Modise (both Orlando Pirates), Reneilwe Letsholonyane, Siphiwe Tshabalala (both Kaizer Chiefs), Thanduyise Khuboni (Golden Arrows), (Steven Pienaar (Everton, England), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan, Russia).
Forwards: Benni McCarthy (West Ham United, England), Katlego Mphela (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siyabonga Nomvete (Moroka Swallows), Bernard Parker (FC Twente, Holland).
- The best young kids expected to feature in the Premier League this weekend
- Report: Hakim Ziyech describes Chelsea winger as ‘crazy’ ahead of Chelsea clash with Manchester United
- Edouard Mendy usurps Kepa Arrizabalaga as Chelsea first-choice goalkeeper, Lampard confirms
- Carlo Ancelotti calls Virgil van Dijk’s foul on James Rodriguez ‘mistimed’ ahead of Everton clash with Southampton
- Zinedine Zidane ‘remain positive’ ahead of El Clasico despite 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League