Hleb’s time at Arsenal looks to be coming to an end with Barcalona expected to announce the signing of the Gunners midfielder on Monday on a 4 year deal.
Hleb’s future was in doubt for most of the off season with links to various other clubs with Hleb also announcing that living in London and playing the highest level football has made him “mentally tired”.
He expanded on this in a Russian interview:
“I can’t get used to the chaotic way of life in London, where everyone is racing around 24 hours a day. It is uncomfortable and I’m mentally tired. I told Wenger that at our two recent meetings.
“I was seeking his advice on whether I should leave the team. I also made no secret of the fact that some leading European clubs were interested in me.”
Hleb also said that he was commited to leaving:
“Serious negotiations are under way now. I have made up my mind.”
Barcelona are extremely happy with the move after trying to chase Hleb for many seasons.
The 27-year-old Belarussian is understood to be travelling to Spain to undergo a medical after the two clubs reportedly agreed a Â£13.3 million fee. Barcelona will pay Â£11.9 million immediately, with the rest of the money dependent on trophies won.
Hleb joined Arsenal from VfB Stuttgart for Â£11.2 million in 2005. He scored only 10 goals in his three seasons at Arsenal but his impact was different from scoring goals.
- Michael Essien: Thomas Partey is ‘a very complete midfielder’ Arsenal have needed for a long time
- Ryan Giggs warns ‘it could be 15, 20 years’ before Manchester United win their next Premier League title
- Confirmed West Ham team news to face Liverpool on Saturday
- Joe Hart opens up on why he joined Tottenham while and the role of Jose Mourinho
- Confirmed Chelsea team list to face Krasnodar in the Champions League