Although they are co-hosts in this competition, Austria are considered minnows in this Euro 2008 campaign. Realistically speaking, Austria cannot possibly win Euro 2008 and will find it difficult to qualify (or even grab any points!) from Group B which contains Germany, Croatia and Poland. The only star player that deserves to be outlined in this article is Andreas Ivanschitz.
The 24 year-old midfielder was born on the 15th October 1983, and currently plays for Greeks Panathinaikos. For this club, he has appeared 40 times, scoring 7 goals, which, for a midfielder is not a bad return at all. He has been playing for Austria since 2002, scoring 5 goals in 31 appearances. His left foot is dominant, but he is still nicknamed the Austrian Beckham. Not only does Ivanschitz appear in nearly every game for his country, but he also captains his side at his relatively young age. Opponents will have to mark Ivanschitz tightly to keep the midfielder away from feeding good balls or finding the net.
- Joe Hart opens up on why he joined Tottenham while and the role of Jose Mourinho
- Confirmed Chelsea team list to face Krasnodar in the Champions League
- What the new Football Leadership Diversity Code means for English clubs
- Jose Mourinho has revealed the difference between this Tottenham team and his La Liga winning Real Madrid side
- Wayne Rooney: Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin deserves an international call-up before Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham