Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is looking at signing Luiz Gustavo so he can replace departing Jon Obi Mikel in the central defensive midfield role according to the Mirror. Priced at £15m the Brazilian midfielder may potentially be Mourinho’s second summer signing after he signed Bayer Leverkusen’s Andre Schurrle in early July.
The signing of Thiago Alcantara at Bayern Munich meant Luiz Gustavo’s playing time will be limited. Luiz Gustavo has said that he wants first team football so he can gain a spot in the Brazil squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil next year.
The Brazilian played an important part at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup helping his side to the final where they beat Spain 4-0 in the final. Luiz Gustavo has also been linked with London rivals Arsenal according to the IBTimes. Luiz Gustavo would fit into the Arsenal set up quite well as they have been looking for a player to replace Alex Song who departed for Barcelona over a season ago.
German club VfL Wolfsburg are also looking at the Brazilian as they look to add some fresh players to the midfield (Goal.com). Wolfsburg sporting director mentioned “We had contact and I have placed our interest,”. The Brazilian has a contract at the German champions which extends to 2015.
Whether it be Chelsea, Arsenal or Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo would add strength to the defence and composure to the attack for whatever team he joins.
- Premier League preview: Liverpool vs Fulham
- ‘Need to move heaven and earth to get them’: Rio Ferdinand names two players Manchester United must sign
- From Flirting With Relegation To Flirting With Europe – What A Seven Months It’s Been For Aston Villa
- ‘National League in turmoil’: but who really cares?
- Tottenham looking to replace Jose Mourinho with RB Leipzig’s Julian Naglesmann