Former Liverpool midfielder Patrick Berger has given Gareth Barry his backing over reports of a summer move to Anfield.
The Villa midfielder spent seven years between 1996 and 2003 with the reds and believes Barry may live to regret not grabbing the chance to play Champions league football.
He was quoted in the Birmingham Mail as saying
“Gareth knows my opinion, I have told him. It is the opportunity of a lifetime in my opinion.
What I would do, I would go there and try it and experience it., he said.
“It is Liverpool and if I was in his position I would go there tomorrow.”
The news will not go down too well at Villa Park and will do little to ease the tension going into the final game of the season at Upton Park against West Ham United.
- Report: Manchester United and Liverpool holding talks to join new European Premier League
- Champions League round-up: Manchester United defeat PSG, Lionel Messi sets new record as Barcelona hits five
- Mesut Ozil excluded from Arsenal’s 25-man Premier League squad
- ‘I’m so responsible’ – Pep Guardiola takes the blame for Manchester City’s European woes
- Frank Lampard turns to stats to defend his backline ahead of Champions League clash with Sevilla