Who once said “Football was a funny old game ?” It certainly is as Bristol Rovers found themselves unexpectedly relegated to the Conference for the first time in 94 years on Saturday.
Going into the game, they needed Wycombe to fail to beat to Torquay and Northampton Town to lose at home to Oxford to escape the drop, but it wasn’t to be.
On 36 minutes, Colin Daniel side footed home to give the Mansfield Town the lead at Bristol Rovers and with both Wycombe and Northampton winning at half time, it was certainly going to be a second half of nervous tension as the Pirates fought to keep their Football League status intact as they fell into the drop zone.
An early second half goal at Sixfields saw Northampton go 3-1 up against a ten man Oxford and a third for Wycombe left the Pirates chasing an uphill battle as time went on and despite chances to find the net, it was the Pirates who found themselves relegated.
- Report: Manchester United loanee could swap Championship teams
- The Comeback Kid – John Stones Plays His Way Back Into Manchester City’s Future
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international