Andre Villas-Boas has taken the reins at White Hart Lane and has set about re-building Tottenham Hotspur for the forthcoming season, however can he do enough to keep Spurs in the Title chase?
Last season under Harry Redknapp, Tottenham had a superb start to the season and kept in close contact with the Manchester sides until the beginning of February. Coincidentally, this was the time that speculation intensified about Harry Redknapp getting the England job after Fabio Capello’s resignation. From that moment onwards Tottenham fell away from the title challenge and even lost out on 3rd place, despite having a 13 point gap over 4th place at one stage.
So what can Andre Villas-Boas do to make sure Tottenham do not fall away at the tail-end of the season again? He employs a riskier tactical approach involving a high-defensive line and a 4-3-3 formation. This can go spectacularly right; winning a treble at Porto, or spectacularly wrong as his stint at Chelsea proved. How it goes on Tottenham remains in the laps of the gods, but the early signs are encouraging.
So far, the recruiting process has seen Jan Vertonghen from Ajax, a player who won Eredivisie Player of the season last term join the club. Gylfi Sigurdsson who excelled on loan at Swansea City, has also joined. With reported interest in Joao Moutinho and Emmanuel Adebayor, Villas-Boas appears to be recruiting players of a calibre that could make Tottenham serious challengers for the Premier League title.
- The Comeback Kid – John Stones Plays His Way Back Into Manchester City’s Future
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool