Premier League giants Chelsea and Arsenal may be battling it out to sign Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid with both Frank Lampard and Mikel Arteta desperate to add a defensive midfielder before the transfer deadline.
According to the Metro, while Arsenal are still being indecisive in their bid, the Blues may just be hijacking the Ghana International from their London rivals.
For Frank Lampard, Declan Rice has been his number one choice in that position but West Ham have remained adamant that the midfielder is not for sale.
With the transfer window set to close in two days, Chelsea would have to stick with what they have or go for other options.
Ferdinand, however, believes Thomas Partey could be the next option for Lampard, signalling the manager’s lack of trust in Mateo Kovacic and Jorginho.
“I think a huge thing for them is to stop conceding goals,” Ferdinand told BT Sport.
“I think Frank would have looked at it last season and three of the back four that will be playing today are new players.
“He’ll have seen that, a lot of goals conceded and I think the most conceded in 22 years at the club.
“More importantly, we hear reports today of Partey coming in for that central area.
“I don’t think he’s happy with the likes of Kovacic or Jorginho. You can see that because he’s chopping and changing in those positions.
“Getting someone like that in to protect the back four or five along with Kante goes a long way to nullifying the goals against.”
Chelsea are back to winning ways after a 4-0 thumping of Crystal Palace, which also saw Edouard Mendy make his debut in goal.
Without doubt, the Senegal international will be happy to grab a clean sheet in his first Premier League appearance, while the defence also looked in better shape against the likes of Wilfried Zaha and Eberechi Eze.
- Dean Smith has refused to be distracted as Aston Villa maintain their perfect start to the season
- Guardiola reveals what Aguero must do to get a new contract at Manchester City
- Frustrated Mourinho says no automatic place for Gareth Bale at Tottenham after 3-3 draw against West Ham
- ‘He insulted me’ Barca coach Ronald Koeman calls out Getafe player for disrespect
- Premier League legend Alan Shearer heaps praise on Manchester United trio after win against Newcastle