As confirmed via BBC Sport, 40 year old goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has joined Chelsea for 1 season after being released by London neighbours Fulham.
From Schwarzer’s point of view, it is a fantastic move to a top European club – if bench warming is all that he wants to do in the final years (or year) of his great career where he was the first foreign player to reach 500 English top flight appearances. I believe that he could still have a starting spot, albeit at a club not so mighty as Chelsea but still a chance for first team football.
Chelsea have the reliable Cech and for the League Cup , they could use promising youngster Jamal Blackman and put some faith back in the Chelsea youth instead of pushing his career another way by using a veteran like Schwarzer instead.
Saying that, Jose Mourinho is likely to want to win a clean sweep of trophies in his first season back at Stamford Bridge and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him use Cech for all of the games, including the League Cup. For Jose, every trophy is a trophy that should be won.
If Chelsea truly wanted to provide competition for Cech then why not sign an already established keeper such as Sporting Lisbon’s Rui Patricio who is likely to leave the club with Monaco and Arsenal interested (record.pt). The European markets offer many candidates for competition to Cech but they still signed Mark Schwarzer.
Good luck to him but I can’t see him doing anything more than warming that Chelsea bench.
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager
- Arsenal gives injury update on £45 million summer signing