It has been reported by Teamtalk that Tottenham Hotspurs are interested in signing French No 1 keeper Gregory Coupet from French Champions Olympique Lyon. Tottenham have lost their keeper Radek Cerny to Queens Park Rangers, and Juande Ramos is looking to boost his goalkeeping department ahead of the 2008/09 season. Tottenham have qualified for the First Round of UEFA Cup after winning the Carling Cup in the past season. Thus, Ramos is looking at keepers who can play up to the expectations in a European competition.
Coupet is certainly that kind of man, with 15 years’ experience in football. The French main goalkeeper has helped his club Lyon to clinch seven straight Ligue 1 Championships between 2002 and 2008. It seems that Paul Robinson has not done enough to convince Juande Ramos that he can be the main keeper for Tottenham.
It remains to be seen if Coupet would be ready to sacrifice UEFA Champions League with Lyon for UEFA Cup with Tottenham, or if he is ready to gain the popularity of the Premiership rather than the inferior Ligue 1. Coupet will be the French keeper for the coming European Championships, and France’s performance in the competition rests upon his shoulders. It has also been reported that Lyon would want to buy Hugo Lloris, French 21-year old OGC Nice goalkeeper, who is a hot prospect goalkeeper for the future of French football, if Coupet decides to go.
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager