Four years ago Dwight Gayle was scoring for fun for non-league Stansted, last night he practically ended Liverpool’s final chance of lifting the Premier League title with two late goals for Crystal Palace.
The Walthamstow born striker, in his first season at Selhurst Park following his big money move from Peterborough United in the summer, came off the bench with his side three goals down as the Merseysiders were fully in control and cruising towards a 3-0 victory.
But after Damien Delaney had pulled one back for the Eagles, it was Gayle who stole the show as he side footed home from just inside the penalty area on 81 minutes and then raced clear from a perfectly weighted chest pass from fellow substitute Glenn Murray to level the game at 3-3.
With Liverpool facing Newcastle at home in their final game of the season and fellow title rivals Manchester City facing home games against Aston Villa and West Ham, it looks like Gayle’s brace has certainly all but ended Liverpool’s hopes of lifting the league title this season.
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager