Derby County’s impressive home form came down to earth with a bump as Doncaster Rovers stole all three points at Pride Park.
The Rams had been unbeaten at home since early November and were on a 4 game unbeaten streak before Rovers arrived at Pride Park, but the visitors deserved their victory as the home side struggled on a freezing December day.
The first half belonged to Rovers as their slick passing football opened up the Derby defence on a couple of occasions, and in the 21st minute they opened the scoring through their in-form striker Billy Sharp. The on-loan Sheffield United striker received the ball from x and calmly slotted in past Stephen Bywater in the Derby goal.
The Rams showed much more purpose in the second half but were restricted to long-range efforts. And with the home side chasing the game Rovers sealed all three points in the final minute, Stephen Bywater quickly took a throw-in but Jay McEveley lost control of the ball allowing James Coppinger to race clear and fire past Bywater.
- The best young kids expected to feature in the Premier League this weekend
- Report: Hakim Ziyech describes Chelsea winger as ‘crazy’ ahead of Chelsea clash with Manchester United
- Edouard Mendy usurps Kepa Arrizabalaga as Chelsea first-choice goalkeeper, Lampard confirms
- Carlo Ancelotti calls Virgil van Dijk’s foul on James Rodriguez ‘mistimed’ ahead of Everton clash with Southampton
- Zinedine Zidane ‘remain positive’ ahead of El Clasico despite 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League