Derby County’s impressive home form came down to earth with a bump as Doncaster Rovers stole all three points at Pride Park.
The Rams had been unbeaten at home since early November and were on a 4 game unbeaten streak before Rovers arrived at Pride Park, but the visitors deserved their victory as the home side struggled on a freezing December day.
The first half belonged to Rovers as their slick passing football opened up the Derby defence on a couple of occasions, and in the 21st minute they opened the scoring through their in-form striker Billy Sharp. The on-loan Sheffield United striker received the ball from x and calmly slotted in past Stephen Bywater in the Derby goal.
The Rams showed much more purpose in the second half but were restricted to long-range efforts. And with the home side chasing the game Rovers sealed all three points in the final minute, Stephen Bywater quickly took a throw-in but Jay McEveley lost control of the ball allowing James Coppinger to race clear and fire past Bywater.
- Three games to watch out for in Matchday 3 of the Premier League
- Borussia Dortmund gives final verdict over Manchester United target
- Three talking points after Bayern Munich win the UEFA Super Cup
- Opinion: Luis Suarez to Metropolitano Stadium could be a perfect deal for Atletico Madrid but fatal for Barcelona
- The 5 Craziest Football Matches