Gabon made the perfect start to Group C with a routine victory against the debutants Niger. Two first half goals proved enough for Les Pantheres who looked comfortable throughout the game.
Spurred on by a sold out crowd at the Stade de l’Amitié, Gabon took the lead in the 30th minute when Stephane N’Guema delivered a looping cross from the right hand side of the pitch that was met by the head of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. It was a solid header by the talented front man, but Niger’s goalkeeper Kassaly Daouda was suspect in regards to his positioning. Niger’ problems worsened on the stroke of half time when another cross this time from Charly Moussono on the left yet again resulted in Aubameyang testing Daouda with a leaping diving header. Daouda made amends for his role in the first goal with a solid save. However, his joy was short lived – his save went straight into the path of N’Guema who with the goal at his mercy couldn’t miss.
The second half was a forgettable affair with Gabon making sure their two-nil lead wouldn’t slip. The highlight of the half was the introduction of Gabon legend Daniel Cousin for the final stages of play. Whilst Niger are a very weak side with little chance of qualifying for the next stage it will please Gabon greatly to have three points on the board. Rohr Gernot’s side can now watch the Tunisia vs Morocco encounter sitting on top of Group C. Libreville will be rocking tonight!
RM: N’Guema (Lloyd)
LM: Poko (Zita)
ST: Aubameyang (Cousin)
( ): Subs
- The Comeback Kid – John Stones Plays His Way Back Into Manchester City’s Future
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool