Yesterday we witnessed arguably the biggest transfer of the season; Fernando Torres leaving Liverpool for Chelsea on a 5 and a half year contract worth reportedly £50 million.
Liverpool fans are of course, outraged. This is reminiscent of the LeBron James transfer from Cleveland to Miami in the NBA. They shouldn’t be though. Fernando is a man of his own life, and knows what is best for his career. A football club like Liverpool FC will always be the destination club for top players like Torres. The fact of the matter is, he was fantastic in the four years he spent on Merseyside. Now is the time for Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll to begin a new successful era in Liverpool FC.
What does this now mean for the title race? Chelsea for one, just got a whole lot of extra ammo and are firmly back in the race. Now whether they can convert that ammo into wins is now the million dollar question. With the likes of Cech, Drogba, Malouda & Torres, it is the perfect recipe for a title but whether they work well to do so or do a Real Madrid is yet to be known.
And as if it was meant to be, Liverpool and Chelsea have a face-off on Sunday. It is no doubt a heated encounter in the making and this rivalry is only just beginning. One thing is for sure, the title race just got a whole lot more interesting.
- Key talking points from Liverpool’s Premier League win over Arsenal
- Opinion: West Brom 3-3 Chelsea | How Frank Lampard got it wrong from the start
- Three games to watch out for in Matchday 3 of the Premier League
- Borussia Dortmund gives final verdict over Manchester United target
- Three talking points after Bayern Munich win the UEFA Super Cup