Chelsea player Claude Makelele, who was on the losing side in Wednesday’s Champions League Final clash against European & Domestic Champions Manchester United, has announced that the 2008 European Championships will be the last competition that he will feature in for Les Blues. Makelele is 35 years old and had already announced his intention to retire after World Cup 2006.
However, Raymond Domenech did not accept his retirement, and recalled him for the European Championships qualifiers. Now, Makelele has stated his determination to end his international career after Euro 2008, saying that nothing can change his mind this time and that his decision is irrevocable. Makelele will be one of the French players to contribute to the French squad with his experience. Regardless of France’s results in Euro 2008, Makelele wants to end his France career and focus more on his final stage of his Chelsea career and on his beautiful super-model wife Noemie Lenoir.
“Will I stop French team after Euro 2008? This time you have to believe me, I believe I will stop. What I have experienced with Les Bleus is fantastic. But at a certain time, a player has to stop. Today it is my turn.”
“I want to stay in my club and not join again with national team.” – Claude Makelele
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager