Manchester City have reportedly suffered a blow in the chase for the signature of Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez.
The Cityzens have been credited with an interest in the 23-year-old as they view him as a potential replacement for Sergio Aguero.
Aguero could exit the Etihad Stadium at the end of the season, with his current deal set to set to expire in the summer.
The experienced striker has been outstanding for the Premier League outfit since first arriving in Manchester in the summer of 2011, scoring 256 goals and contributing 73 assists for the club.
However, the 32-year-old has endured a disappointing campaign so far, earning only five league appearances due to injury and illness.
City reportedly wanted to secure the services of Martinez, but according to Eurosport, the 23-year-old now looks set to sign a contract extension at Inter.
The young striker first came to San Siro in the summer of 2018 from Racing Club in a move worth €22.7 million.
And since arriving in Milan, he has racked up 115 appearances in all competitions, scoring 42 goals and creating 15 assists in the process.
The former Racing Club player has been impressive in Serie A this season, racking up 21 appearances and smashing ten goals so far.
- ‘National League in turmoil’: but who really cares?
- Tottenham looking to replace Jose Mourinho with RB Leipzig’s Julian Naglesmann
- Ademola Lookman – The Brght Spark Keeping Fulham’s Season Alive
- Would a trophy justify Tottenham’s poor style of play under Jose Mourinho?
- Twitter refuses to change ID policy as football’s racism battle continues: But should Social Media companies be doing more to stop it?