Hearts today continued their every-growing emphasis on youth by handing new contracts to youngsters Ryan McGowan and Stephen Husband. McGowan signed a five year deal, which he signed back in April but is only taking effect now, while Husband has signed up until 2011.
Both made their way into the Hearts squads towards the end of last season, and both were subsequently selected to join the rest 25-man for their pre-season tour of Germany. McGowan is the only one of the two so far to have managed a competitive first-team debut. He got his chance as a substitute after an injury to Marius Zaliukas in Hearts’ final match against Gretna last season.
They are currently in Germany and are joined by fellow under-19 team mates of last season Gary Glen, Matej Rapnik and David Templeton, although Templeton spent much of last season on loan at Second Division Raith Rovers.
Since joining the club, manager Csaba Laszlo has made no secret of his desire to develop youth during his tenure and each of these players could very well be given chances to show what they can do at various parts of the season.
Also in Germany are players that have progressed through the youth ranks in recent years, including Andy Driver, Eggert Jonsson, Lee Wallace and club-captain Christophe Berra .
- ‘Need to move heaven and earth to get them’: Rio Ferdinand names two players Manchester United must sign
- From Flirting With Relegation To Flirting With Europe – What A Seven Months It’s Been For Aston Villa
- ‘National League in turmoil’: but who really cares?
- Tottenham looking to replace Jose Mourinho with RB Leipzig’s Julian Naglesmann
- Ademola Lookman – The Brght Spark Keeping Fulham’s Season Alive