Week eighteen took us down to Sicily. Away to Cagliari at el stadio Sant’Elia. A place well known by current Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri, as it was only last season he was sitting on the opposite bench. Just before the match it was confirmed Nesta was out. This added to the long list of absentees, along with Zambrotta, Pirlo, Boateng, Flamini. Club top scorer, with nine, Ibrahimovic was also suspended. None of this seemed to matter as all rossoneri fans were looking forward to was seeing new sighning Antonio Cassano. Controversial at best, Cassano joined after a bust up with Sampdoria owner. This pretty much signalled the end of Ronaldinho’s spell at the San Siro, he is now on the verge of joining Flamengo. Cagliari dominated the first half, with Michele Canini and Alessandro Matri hitting the post and having a penalty claim respectively. It looked as Milan were going for the draw, but off came Merkel and on came Cassano. With fifteen minutes to go Milan started to make a push. Cassano with a neat slip in to twenty year old Sierra Leone’s Rodney Strasser. He made no mistake and buried it into the bottom corner. Although the replay shows he was offside. With only five minutes to go the points were in the bag. So Milan stay top, the Cassano rollercoaster begins.
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager
- Arsenal gives injury update on £45 million summer signing