Connect with us

Stoke City

Stoke City 2-0 Wigan Athletic


  Stoke City signed off our home campaign for 2008/09 in some style this afternoon, comfortably defeating an underwhelming Wigan side at the windswept Britannia Stadium. The first half was defined by a lack of excitement, with both sides struggling with the conditions, but the Potters came alive in the second and sealed the victory with two goals inside seven minutes from strike partners Ricardo Fuller and James Beattie midway through the half. The win lifts Stoke above Wigan into eleventh place on forty-five points, and means that whatever happens on the final day of the season, when we go to Arsenal, we can finish no higher than tenth, and no lower than twelfth.

Football - Stoke City v Wigan Athletic Barclays Premier League
The two sides locked horns at the Britannia Stadium, Stoke in the famous red and white and Wigan looking like the victims of an explosion in a highlighter factory
  Stoke manager Tony Pulis fielded an unchanged side from the one that beat Hull a week ago to secure our Premier League status, with Ryan Shawcross and Andy Wilkinson playing in unfamiliar roles at right and left-back respectively, while Leon Cort continued at centre-back alongside Abdoulaye Faye, who took a clean sweep of nine player of the season awards on the pitch before kick-off. Contrary to the expectations of many Stoke fans, there was no place on the bench for misfit forward Dave Kitson, who, in the words of Pulis’s assistant Dave Kemp, has been at Reading until very recently so it wouldn’t have been right to play him.
  South Korean international Cho Won-Hee was a surprise inclusion to the visitors’ starting eleven, making his Latics debut as he shook off a calf injury to play as part of a five man midfield, Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega leading the Wigan line alone. 
  With high hopes in the stadium for an open, exciting game, as both sides could relax at the end of the season, the Potters survived an early scare with Wigan carving out a sight of goal inside the first minute. French winger Charles N’Zogbia was only able to fire straight at Thomas Sorensen in the Stoke goal from a tight angle. Despite this promising start, the first half failed to ever get going really, as the string wind hindered the attacking efforts of both sides, continually stalling Stoke’s direct passes and on several occasions taking Wigan’s balls forward out of play.
Wigan Athletic's Paul Scharner (right) and Stoke City's Ryan Shawcross battle for the ball
Ryan Shawcross and Paul Scharner battled aerially during a dull first half
  In fact, there were just two further efforts on target in the half, and neither of those ever really looked like finding the net, Stoke’s James Beattie forcing Wigan’s Ghanian ‘keeper Richard Kingston only to stop to gather his low effort, before Cho brought a decent tipped save from Sorensen with a well-struck long range drive.
  Stoke did have the ball in the net after half an hour though, as a typically lengthy Rory Delap throw in found its way into Kingson’s goal, via a slight touch from Kinsgon, meaning the goal would have stood, had referee Lee Probert not spotted a foul by Stoke skipper Abdoulaye Faye on the goalkeeper. Normally I moan that goalkeepers get far too much protection, but as Probert had an otherwise exemplary game, and as we went on to win, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here.
  The home side’s best moment of the half came as it drew to its conclusion, Beattie doing extremely well to get behind Wigan’s Honduran left-back Maynor Figueroa before cutting the ball back towards Fuller and Liam Lawrence in the centre. With Lawrence probably in the best position to strike for goal, Fuller, ever selfish, stuck out his foot deflecting the ball away from Lawrence and Matthew Etherington, who had made a late run to the far post, a moment of sloppy play that summed up the half. In a season which few Stoke fans want to see end, there were none complaining when Probert blew the whistle to bring an end to the first half today.
Football - Stoke City v Wigan Athletic Barclays Premier League
Lawrence is frustrated by Figueroa
  Stoke approached the second half with far more attacking impetus and verve however, and soon went close through Danny Pugh, who had come on at half time for Cort, allowing Wlkinson the freedom to get forward down his natural right flank. The former Manchester United man hit a powerful volley, which flew narrowly over Kingson’s bar, his pained expression showing how close it was. Perhaps shooting the other way the wind would have taken the ball into the net, as it was, it sailed over.
  The Latics then threatened themselves for perhaps the only time in the half, Figueroa surging gazelle-like from his left-back position to the edge of the Stoke box, from where he hit a crushing low effort, which fortunately arrowed inches wide of Sorensen’s right post, keeping the Dane’s deserved clean sheet in tact.
  The opening goal eventually came for Stoke in the 69th minute of a game where for once we enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, Fuller latching onto Lawrence’s knock forward, before evading three Wigan defences, turning down three presentable chances to shoot in favour of working the ball from foot to foot, seeing off a lunging tackle from Figueroa and eventually expertly sending the ball high past Kingson into the goal infront of the Boothen End, which, having waited all game for something to celebrate on the jubilant day, erupted. Some would call in commendable persistence from the Jamaican, others a foolish inability to accept three good sights of goal. Once again, as I’m in a good mood, I’ll say it was the first. It was his tenth strike of the season, an added positive for him, as to get into double figures in a side that has spent a lot of the season in the relegation zone is no mean feat.
Stoke City's Ricardo Fuller (left) celebrates scoring the opening goal of the game
Fuller leaves Figueroa on the ground to score his tenth of the season.
  It was very nearly two moments later, as, Stoke having won a corner, a bizarre sequence of events played out. Lawrence fired the ball in low, a Wigan defender hacked it towards his own goal, Kingson managed to get some part of himself behind it, and it ricocheted off the post and away. That’s the best I saw the incident anyway, I’m sorry if it’s inaccurate, as at just that moment, two of the people sitting directly in front of me were ont he verge of having a fight, one old, one young, the old, having clearly been aggravated by the young’s foul-mouthed antics and refusal to sit down all season, gave him a completely unexpected hard push in the back. The young, having come perilously close to flying down the Seddon Stand, rounded on the old, intent on vengeance, before stopping in his tracks when he saw his assailants advancing years, decided he’d have to settle for in my opinion justified verbal abuse, before returning to his primary aim of blocking everyone’s view.
  As it was, all bad blood was forgotten, or at least temporarily shelved away, as Beattie made it two minutes later. Glenn Whelan’s clever ball set Etherington free withthe ball bouncing in the penalty box. With Kingson haring out, the former West Ham winger, who I often feel lacks that bit of commitment, could easily have decided to pull out of the challenge, but instead charged into it, nicking the ball away from the ‘keeper towards the back post, where Beattie, the instinctive goalscorer he is, was waiting and gratefully headed the ball home, to score his nineteenth of the season (seventh for Stoke), and put the game beyond Wigan.
Beattie nods it home, while Figueroa seems more concerned in examining his groin region than defending his team’s goal
  It would have been good to see us push on to score more, but this was not the case, as we took our foot off the gas in the final ten minutes, content to soak up Wigan’s blunted attacking advances. Whelan sent a free-kick over the bar in the dying seconds of the game, but in truth, two goals were more than enough to overcome Wigan and sent the Stoke fans home happy once again, with almost all of the 24,000 Stokies in the ground staying well after the final whistle to joyfully celebrate our ultimately comfortable survival while the heroic players and their either excitable or bemused children took the applause on their lap of honour.
  The win was a fitting end to an excellent season at the Britannia Stadium, with 35 of our 45 points amassed to date having been won at home. I’d love us to beat Arsenal on the last day, and hope Manchester City slip up so we can sneak into the top half to emulate Wigan’s finish from three seasons ago, but really I’m very content with what we have achieved this season. It seems unlikely that we’ll get anything from Arsenal, and if we don’t, 45 points still reflects a fantastic achievement. Then again, perhaps we’ll surprise everyone and beat the Gunners, we’ve already done it once this season. With this Stoke squad you really do never know.
Stoke Side: (4:4:2)
Shawcross  Cort  Abdoulaye Faye  Wilkinson
      Lawrence  Whelan  Delap  Etherington 
                         Beattie  Fuller
Substitutions: Pugh for Cort (46), Diao for Etherington (76), Cresswell for Beattie (86)
Unused Substitutes: Simonsen, Kelly, Olofinjana, Tonge
Attendance: 25,641

(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)


  1. Steven Goran Erikkson

    17 May, 2009 at 08:00

    Really very good VJ,

    You convey the sense of a crap first half very well, but then give the impression that the excitement of the second period was very much appreciated.

    Please can you tell me the last time when no Stoke players got booked. I’m guessing that it’s quite a long time ago!?!?!?

    With just three typos in the blog, and with only one very poor attempt at humour – “The two sides locked horns at the Britannia Stadium, Stoke in the famous red and white and Wigan looking like the victims of an explosion in a highlighter factory”, albeit combined with one amusing moment – “while Figueroa seems more concerned in examining his groin region than defending his team’s goal”, this is a very readable and enjoyable article.

  2. I*T*P*L

    17 May, 2009 at 09:10

    Thank you Steven, I’m surprised you found one of those comments funny but not the other, I’d have thought they were much a similar sort of humour and if you like one you’d like them both but apparently not.

    Having checked my programme, I can tell you that the last time we had nobody booked before yesterday was away at Tottenham on January 27th. Then, in a strange quirk, in our games against Manchester United and West Ham at the End of December, we had men sent off, but no-one else booked. All in all, we’ve been card free eight times this season, which I guess is more than you expected.

  3. Steven Goran Erikkson

    17 May, 2009 at 09:53

    Thanks for that reply VJ,

    The amount of times you have had no-one bokoed is much more than I expected.

    Out of interest, I think you should keep the title how it was before – about Fuller or whatever. I quite liked it.

  4. I*T*P*L

    17 May, 2009 at 13:25

    You think so? Having just had the scoreline as my title for all match reports this season, I intend to keep it that way, but from next year I plan to have a pithy subtitle for them all.

  5. Steven Goran Erikkson

    17 May, 2009 at 13:34

    Fair enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts


More Football Sites

More in Stoke City