Earlier in the week I asked a few questions to Swansea fan Kevin from Vital Swansea, on his thoughts about the upcoming season and about the match itself, which is Leicester v Swansea.
1. Firstly, how do you think the Swans will fare in the Championship this season?
It’s difficult to predict where we’ll finish next season, but it’ll definitely be tougher than last year when we were an unknown quantity following promotion from League One.
We could suffer from ‘second-season syndrome’, and we also have a new manager and nobody knows how well he’ll do in his first season at the Liberty Stadium.
The Championship will also be very competitive, with some strong sides getting relegated from the Premiership and other sides who will be looking for promotion after just missing out last year.
I’ll be quite surprised if we are competing amongst the top 6 for most of the season, I’m predicting a mid-table place in May 2010.
2. You start the season with Paulo Sousa in charge, so do you think it’s the right appointment?
Initially, his appointment didn’t excite me too much as I was keen to see us appoint Gus Poyet. However, I’ve been very impressed with Sousa so far and I think he’s the best man for the job. He’s saying all the right things at the moment, now it’s a case of doing the business by getting results.
3. You have lost Jason Scotland to Wigan in the Transfer Window, which must have been a blow mustn’t it?
Yes it is a blow, but not all fans will agree with that. Some fans thought he was lazy and believe that a number of strikers would have scored 20+ in our team thanks to our excellent midfield.
We have Gorka Pintado and Stephen Dobbie plus possibly a new signing to come, so we should be OK in terms of goalscoring midfielders next season.
4. Last season you finished eighth, however do you think you can repeat that this season?
It’ll be a superb achievement if we do, as I mentioned above, it’s a tough competitive League and I think we’ll finish 3-4 places below that next year.
5. Who would you say is Swansea’s key player at the minute?
It’s hard to say really. I think we’re relying on the likes of Gorka Pintado and Stephen Dobbie now to get the goals that we won’t get from Jason Scotland after he left to join Wigan Athletic.
6. Also who do you think is the upcoming talent in the Swansea side?
Joe Allen has come on leaps and bounds over the last year or so and the youngster was a regular first team in the last half of last season. If he continues to improve like he has done, he’ll be one of our key assets next year.
7. You have signed Stephen Dobbie and Nathan Dyer, so out of them two players which do you think will be the biggest hit?
Hopefully both will be a hit. Nathan Dyer has been with us since January and knows the team unlike Stephen Dobbie, who will need time to gel with the squad. Dyer could own the right wing place next season while Dobbie has tough competition with Pintado for a starting place, especially if we continue playing in a 4-5-1 formation.
8. Lastly the all important score prediction?
We’ve never been great starters. We have lost the last two opening games and this one will be tough, so I’ll go for a well-earned 2-2 draw.
- Three games to watch out for in Matchday 3 of the Premier League
- Borussia Dortmund gives final verdict over Manchester United target
- Three talking points after Bayern Munich win the UEFA Super Cup
- Opinion: Luis Suarez to Metropolitano Stadium could be a perfect deal for Atletico Madrid but fatal for Barcelona
- The 5 Craziest Football Matches