Derby County 2-3 Barnsley
A disappointing defeat to the team at the bottom of the league, in fact this result against Barnsley is much more worrying than losing to Sheffield United because Barnsley are a team we should be beating but a leaky defence seems to continually let us down. If Nigel Clough can identify our defending is a problem what are they doing on the training pitch to sort it out? Whatever they’ve tried it clearly isn’t working so far.
Derby took the lead after 27 minutes with a goal from Rob Hulse from a beautiful Lee Croft cross, they were pegged back almost immediately with an equaliser from Adam Hamill. At half time it was level and Derby really should have been able to push on and kill the game off. Unfortunately it was Barnsley who did that taking the lead through a goal from Andy Gray, and then Anderson de Silva made it 1-3 in the last minute of normal time. Derby did get a second goal in the dying seconds from Shaun Barker but it was nothing more than a consolation as the final whistle went soon after.
So a first win for Mark Robins as Barnsley manager and a third straight defeat for Nigel Clough’s men. It leaves Derby with 7 points from 7 games and in 15th position in the table, not a great return but it’s better than last season.
In my opinion there is still no need to press the panic button but Derby have a lot of work to do, the start of the season saw promising signs but in recent weeks we have seen poor defending cost us dearly. The goals have been coming (except against Sheffield United) but we’ll never win games if we continue to defend like we do. And it’s not just the defence who are to blame, it’s the team who are responsible for this and maybe Nigel Clough needs to take a serious look at his starting XI before things begin to spiral out of control.
The fans and the club need to realise that unless things pick up quickly we’re going to be in another relegation scrap.
- The best young kids expected to feature in the Premier League this weekend
- Report: Hakim Ziyech describes Chelsea winger as ‘crazy’ ahead of Chelsea clash with Manchester United
- Edouard Mendy usurps Kepa Arrizabalaga as Chelsea first-choice goalkeeper, Lampard confirms
- Carlo Ancelotti calls Virgil van Dijk’s foul on James Rodriguez ‘mistimed’ ahead of Everton clash with Southampton
- Zinedine Zidane ‘remain positive’ ahead of El Clasico despite 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League