With just 8 days to go until the transfer window deadline is looming around the corner with more certain thrilling and twists and turns when the window shuts at 11:00pm next Friday.
The Times 23/01/14
Chelsea are planning a renewed attempt to sign Wayne Rooney in the summer in the belief that his expiring contract will enable them to get him on the cheap.
- Wayne Rooney wants to stay at Manchester United, who are ready to open contract talks once Juan Mata’s move to Old Trafford is sealed.
- Arsenal will make a last-ditch push to buy Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler now rather than risk getting caught up in a summer bidding war.
- Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is a £3.5million target for AC Milan.
- Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is willing to pay Chelsea £20million for goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who is in his third season on loan at the Spanish side.
- Manchester United are sending out an SOS to £37million Juan Mata after crashing out of the Capital One Cup.
- Jose Mourinho wants to land Real Sociedad striker Antoine Griezmann after flogging Juan Mata to Manchester United.
- Yaya Toure has caused alarm at Manchester City by admitting that he would be open to a move to Paris Saint Germain.
- Manchester United last night agreed a club record £37million fee for Chelsea’s Juan Mata to ease the pain of their Capital One Cup KO.
- Manchester United will smash their transfer record today to land Juan Mata from Chelsea for £37million – after refusing to talk about a swap deal with Wayne Rooney.
- Cardiff are edging close to signing Manchester United’s Wilfried Zaha on loan until the end of the season after the winger had a medical yesterday.
- Monaco could pull the plug on Everton’s deal to sign Lacina Traore after star striker Radamel Falcao suffered a serious knee injury.
- Jackson Martinez is set to turn his back on a potential move to Arsenal or Chelsea by signing a new deal at FC Porto.
The Daily Telegraph
- Chelsea have accepted a £37million bid for Juan Mata and immediately released the Spain international to join Manchester United to complete the most dramatic deal of the transfer window.
- Chelsea intend to launch big bid for Everton midfielder Ross Barkley in summer, and allowing Juan Mata to leave could aid the process.
Juan Mata is close to completing a £40m move to Manchester United, after telling Chelsea yesterday morning that he wanted to leave and sitting out training to guard against injury.