One of the surprises, after Domenech named the 30-man provisional squad for Euro 2008, was the absence of David Trezeguet from the list. The French striker who currently plays for Italian side Juventus, is known to have a difficult relationship with current boss Domenech. Only that can be the reason for his absence from the squad. Statistics show that Trezeguet, in other circumstances (or under the reign of another manager), is impossible to overlook.
The 31 year old player has been a regular for his club, scoring 20 goals in Serie A this season. He has been a loyal servant to his nation’s team, ranking 3rd in the all-time top scorers table, with 34 goals in 71 matches for France.
“It’s an organisational choice. There are four or five central strikers, you can’t cram each position. You have to make choices.” – Raymond Domenech
Gael Clichy is another absentee from the French squad, although he has featured regularly for Arsenal. A surprise inclusion in the squad is Bafetimbi Gomis, a Saint-Etienne striker who has scored 16 goals for his club this season. He will be hoping to earn his first cap for his home country. Youngsters like Ben Arfa, Benzema and Nasri made it into the squad, as expected, and will be hoping to impress everyone in the coming European tournament. However, Monaco’s hot prospect Jeremy Menez misses out on a place in the squad.
- Wayne Rooney – We Will Always Remember The Name
- Newcastle United offered the chance to sign 23-year-old Leicester City midfielder
- Crystal Palace battling three other clubs for signing talented Turkey international
- From Causes For Concern To Title Contenders – Manchester United Now Level On Points With League Leaders Liverpool
- Former Chelsea striker appointed as new Burton Albion manager