Gillingham midfielder Nicky Southall believes the Gills have the character to bounce back and win promotion from League Two.
Gillingham were relegated after losing 2-1 at Elland Road to promotion hope-fuls Leeds United, but Southall believes there were several positives to take from their last few matches of the season: “It wasn’t nice for us. the writing had been on the wall for the last few weeks. We tried over so hard and to still have a chance of staying up on the last day was fantastic. Every one of us playedÂ really well in front a very biased crowd. We gave a good account of ourselves and did not deserve to lose. There are a lot of positives to come from the game and if we can take our form from recent weeks into the first few games next season, we’ll be okay”.
Although Gillingham will be amongst the favourites in League Two, Southall is expecting yet another tough season: “League Two is going to be a difficult league. There are a lot of small grounds and quite a few games up north! It won’t be easy and teams that come up from the Conference tend to take that promotion into the start of the following season. It is a new challenge and for us and we have got to bounce back and show how much character we have got in the dressing room. I think we have got good character and with the gaffer strengthening the squad in the summer, we’ll be up there”.
- Joe Hart opens up on why he joined Tottenham while and the role of Jose Mourinho
- Confirmed Chelsea team list to face Krasnodar in the Champions League
- What the new Football Leadership Diversity Code means for English clubs
- Jose Mourinho has revealed the difference between this Tottenham team and his La Liga winning Real Madrid side
- Wayne Rooney: Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin deserves an international call-up before Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham