A section of the Manchester United fans have appreciated the performance of defender Eric Bailly, who made his first competitive appearance of the season on Monday night.
The centre-back recently returned to full training after recovering from a knee ligament injury picked up during a pre-season game against Leeds United in July.
Bailly was initially expected to settle for a bench role against Chelsea but Victor Lindelof’s illness in the lead-up to the game meant that he was handed with a starting spot in the back three.
The trio of Bailly, Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw were impressive during the 2-0 win over the Blues at Stamford Bridge and the former came up with as many as three blocks to deny the Blues from testing the goalkeeper.
One of those was a last-ditch intervention on Mateo Kovacic in the box when it appeared that the Croatian could get the Blues back into the game in the 72nd minute.
The Ivorian managed to play through the entire 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge without any fitness concerns and following the game, some of the fans were impressed with the defender’s display on his injury comeback.
Here are some of the reactions on Twitter…
During this period, the likes of Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire have signed for the Mancunian giants and the duo are widely regarded as the preferred central defensive pair in the regular 4-2-3-1 formation.
Bailly still has more than two years remaining on his United contract and he has the chance for redemption, provided he can remain unscathed over an extended period of time, which has not been the case previously.
- ‘Need to move heaven and earth to get them’: Rio Ferdinand names two players Manchester United must sign
- From Flirting With Relegation To Flirting With Europe – What A Seven Months It’s Been For Aston Villa
- ‘National League in turmoil’: but who really cares?
- Tottenham looking to replace Jose Mourinho with RB Leipzig’s Julian Naglesmann
- Ademola Lookman – The Brght Spark Keeping Fulham’s Season Alive