Some Manchester United fans have appreciated the performance of captain Harry Maguire during the club’s 1-1 Premier League draw against Everton at Goodison Park.
The Red Devils had the opportunity to go within one point off fourth-placed Chelsea with a victory but they were unable to do so after an average attacking display on Sunday.
David de Gea’s howler contributed to Dominic Calvert-Lewin finding the net for the Toffees within the opening three minutes but United were able to level the scores after the 30th-minute mark through Bruno Fernandes’ long-range shot.
However, the Red Devils were inefficient with their attacking display for most of the second half and their best chance to find the winner came to substitute Odion Ighalo, who was denied with a superb save from Jordan Pickford.
Right before the final whistle, the Toffees appeared to have been gifted with an own-goal by Maguire but they were left disappointed after Gylfi Sigurdsson was adjudged to have been offside through VAR as he obscured De Gea’s view in a grounded position.
With the result, United missed their chance to significantly close the gap on Frank Lampard’s side but some of the supporters were still pleased with the performance of Maguire, who put up a dominant display at the heart of the backline.
Maguire has been earning plenty of plaudits from the Red Devils faithful for his consistent displays as the season has progressed and he was able to win five aerial duels and make 15 successful clearances against the Toffees, as per whoscored.
As a result, he was named as the Premier League’s man of the match and a section of United fans have since taken to Twitter to heap praise on the 27-year-old centre-back.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit