After getting his hands back on the Brian Clough trophy Derby County captain Robbie Savage was delighted with his teams’ performance in the East Midlands’ derby.
“It wasn’t just the result that was sweet, it was the way we absolutely dominated a team that hadn’t been beaten for 19 games,” he told the Derby Evening Telegraph.
“Our desire and commitment was second to none and we totally, totally outplayed them.
“We were by far the better team and I think anyone who was at the game will admit that. I’m not exaggerating, it could have been four or five nil.”
Man of the match Shaun Barker was proud of the teams’ performance against Nottingham Forest and was especially happy with the clean sheet.
“I don’t think there was a better occasion for us to get the win and end Forest’s run,” he told the club’s official website.
“A 1-0 win is a defender’s dream and we’re all delighted.
“This win is a massive confidence boost for us, but we must use it to our advantage now.”
First team coach Johnny Metgod was happy to claim a much needed victory in the Rams’ fight against relegation.
“I think any win is sweet, especially the position we are in. It was just nice to get a win,” he told the Derby Evening Telegraph.
“I just hope, as a coaching staff we are going to make absolutely sure that we maintain that standard. We have to aim for that every game we play.
“We have to make sure it is like this for the remaining 18 games of the season.
However Metgod expressed concern that the Rams have been in a similar situation in the past (after results against West Brom and Newcastle) and not used the momentum.
“The effort appears to vary between games but you should be able to give 100 per cent in any game. It has nothing to do with playing well or badly but you just give everything you have got,” he told the Derby Evening Telegraph.
“The standard we showed against Forest is the standard we have to play to.
“If we can maintain this standard we are going to be alright, there is no doubt about that, but we have to keep this standard for the rest of the season and against any team, whether it is a big team, a lesser team, a team at the top or one near the bottom.”
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups