Barcelona will be wearing a new shirt sponsor, Qatar Airways for the 2013-14 season. The current shirt sponsor Qatar Foundation will remain until the end of the 2012-13 season. The sponsor will feature on the 13-14 shirt produced by Nike.
Qatar Airways headquartered in Doha, Qatar is the state-owned flag carrier of Qatar. The airline was voted the best in the world for the past two years. CEO of Qatar Airways said he was “delighted” his firm will be able to have their sponsor on the Barcelona shirt. The deal spans over six years worth over 170 million euros.
This deal dwarfs the Qatar Foundation deal worth 210 million euros. This will make it the first time Barcelona have had a commercial based sponsor on their shirts. Airline sponsorship is nothing new as Emirates currently sponsor Arsenal, AC Milan PSG and Etihad sponsor Manchester City.
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan