This upcoming season, Mourinho won’t have problems in terms of squad depth as we’ve seen on the pre-season Asia tour where Mourinho played with two different squads in each half and with Oscar, Mikel, Mata, Torres, Luiz and Azpilicueta (aside from Romeu who has gone out on loan) Chelsea will will enjoy a full squad.
But this upcoming season it’s Ashley Cole’s last season in his current contract at Stamford Bridge which would leave us with only Ryan Bertrand in the left-back position, if indeed Cole decides to cash in on a free transfer next summer. Now don’t get me wrong! I’m a big fan of Ryan Bertrand but he will have a hard time stepping into the shoes of one of the most successful full-backs of all time.
Bertrand joined Chelsea back in 2005 when he was just 15-years-old, and will want to be the first youth player since John Terry to establish himself in the Chelsea first-team. There is extra motivation for him as Chelsea are already starting to look for some one who will replace Ashley Cole, Mourinho needs to think about Chelsea’s future too and Bertrand needs to get more playing time this season
Chelsea were reportedly fighting Southampton to sign another English young star Luke Shaw so with Cole’s successor already being hunted, Bertrand will have to put in some amazing performance if he is to be Chelsea’s first-choice left-back of the future.
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco