Chelsea’s boss Jose Mourinho has complained throughout the whole season that his club doesn’t have a ‘real’ striker. With Samuel Eto’o who came in the summer and signed a 1-year deal, Demba Ba who joined in January 2013 under Rafa Benitez and the 50m man Fernando Torres failing to really get a decent scoring run Chelsea will be looking to get a new world-class striker to get 20+ goals next season.
There are some candidates to get the leading role for Jose Mourinho’s team:
1) Rumelu Lukaku – The large Belgian who will represent his national team in Brazil (and is a guarenteed started after Benteke’s injury) has been on-loan in the last two years. Lukaku, 21, has scored more goals than both Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero in the Premier League in the last 2 years. with 32 (17 for West Brom and 15 for Everton). Chelsea won’t have to pay big money to get this big striker and he might be the long-term replacement for Didier Drogba.
2) Diego Costa – The Brazilian native Spain international has reportedly agreed a 32m deal with Chelsea but confirmation will be announced by Atletico Madrid and Chelsea just after the Champions League final between the Rojiblancos and their rivals Real Madrid. Costa has netted 27 times to help Diego Simeone’s side to reach the top of La Liga and Champions League final. Diego Costa’s eye for goals and explosive power might the missing part for Chelsea none-hitting side.
3) Mario Mandzukic – With reports by the ‘Bild’ saying a swipe between Mario Mandzukic and David Luiz is already on the cards, the big Croatian striker is not the biggest target of the blues and not the favourite by the fans, failing to really impress during Pep Guardiola’s time at the Bavarians ‘Super Mario’ will struggle to the life at England and Chelsea will be looking for a more prolific striker than him.
4) Didier Drogba – The Legendary striker who scored over 150 goals for Chelsea during his 8 years stay at Chelsea might be the convincing enough for Chelsea boss and the big Ivorian would be more than welcome to return to Stamford Bridge. With his contract running out this summer at Galatasaray he can contribute with his presence at the box. Didier Drogba hasn’t ruled out a move back to England and that might be the most exciting transfer for Chelsea this summer if it’s really going to happen,
5) Wayne Rooney – After failing to get the contract-rebel last summer, Jose Mourinho will be ahead of a hard time if he is still interested in signing the Englishman, Rooney has signed a new 5-year-deal with Manchester United earlier this season making him the highest paid player in the Premier League with 300,000 euros per week. Rooney might be hard to convince to joining the blues that won’t be willing to equal his high wages and with Manchester United ready to go on a new direction with yet-to-be-confirmed manager Louis Van Gaal, Rooney will be hard to get.
So who is the more realistic option for Chelsea for next season?
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco