Fred, no not Fred Flinstone or Freddie Flintoff, Fred the player who won the golden boot award at the 2013 Confederations Cup including a brace in the final for Brazil has been linked with a big money move to English club Manchester City according to The Gulf Today. New City manager Manuel Pellegrini was also linked to sign Paraguayan starlet Oscar Cardozo in an attempt to bolster the attack after the departure of Carlos Tevez to Juventus.
At age 29 you would say that his career is almost over, think not as he has that unique ability to score goals, a world class poacher you may say. He was the unsung hero for Brazil at the Confederations Cup along with Neymar as the two players scored a combined nine goals in total helping Brazil to win their fourth Confederations Cup title and helping them to retain the trophy from 2009 in South Africa.
Fred currently plays for Brazilian side Fluminense and he has amazingly scored over 100 goals in just four seasons at the club. The Brazilian has been prolific for both club and country in the last two years and a big money move to Europe would make so much sense. Fred previously played in France for Lyon for four years from 2005 to 2009 where he scored just 41 goals in four seasons. It has also been reported by The Gulf Today that he wants to stay at his current club Fluminense.
Fred is a player who demands the ball and when he gets it he does not let the team down and I could not see Fred being prolific at Manchester City where they already have the likes of Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko up front. However if Fred was allowed the space up front he could deliver for Manchester City where Aguero may be better playing behind him.
Whether Fred moves to Manchester City or stays at Fluminense it will still be interesting to see if he can continue his prolific form in 2014 and into the World Cup next year. The Confederations Cup has raised a few eyebrows and now Brazil are surely the favourites to win the Cup next year.
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit
- Sunday Premier League Preview: Matchday 15