The season may not be over yet but it has to go down as one of the best in Premier League history. The football being played is right out of the top drawer, the title race is as close as it could get and there are quite a few candidates for relegation.
But what really intrigues me is the performance of some of the English players.
Steven Gerrard is getting used to playing as the regista which would be hugely beneficial for England. Jack Wilshire is getting some quality game time and is finally putting in the performances worthy of his talent. Ross Barkley and Raheem Sterling have lit up Merseyside with some electrifying performances. Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill are part of the stingiest defences in the Premier League.
Wayne Rooney seems to be carrying Manchester United on his shoulders and in Daniel Sturridge they seem to have found a finisher who can compliment Rooney’s hold up play. Leighton Baines is more than a capable replacement for Ashley Cole should the later fail to cement his spot in the first team come the end of the season. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain seems to have found maturity that belies his age. Adam lallana and Luke Shaw would also be have to be considered in the fold to get on the plane to Rio given their recent performances for Southampton.
Of course missing Walcott would be a huge blow but in Chamberlain, Sterling and Townsend Hodgson has a wide variety of options to choose from. The only area of concern remains the right back position and if England can sort that out they certainly have a good chance of making the quarters and beyond.
What is really pleasing is all these clubs are playing good football and that should certainly benefit England whose performances at times have been labelled workman like. It remains to be seen if Roy Hodgson can implement a free flowing style of play or if he goes with the cautious, reserved and much maligned style of play normally associated with his teams.
- Morning Mix: Leeds will come good, Villa showing there is life after Grealish
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 6: Preview & Predictions
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions