In Euro 2008 Spain will play in group D,with Russia,Sweden and Greece,hoping to repeat Euro 1964, when they won the competition in Madrid defeating the Soviet Union 2-1.
One of the main factors may be Liverpool FC’s Fernando Torres.
The 24-year-old started his career in AtlÃ©tico Madrid.At 17, he became the youngest player to play for that club, and two years later, the youngest to become its captain.In seven seasons at Vicente CalderÃ³n,he scored 82 times in 214 league games.
In the summer of 2007, ‘El NiÃ±o’ became Liverpool’s record signing, at around Â£20 million, and since than, has emerged as one of the most dangerous strikers in European football, scoring four times in UEFA Champions League (till quarter-finals) and also registering 20 goals in 27 league appearances for the Reds, bettering his previous campaign high of 19 for Club AtlÃ©tico de Madrid in 2003/04.
Thus far he has scored 15 goals in 46 international appearances,including two goals in seven qualifying games, and with Valencia CF’s David Villa off form, and RaÃºl GonzÃ¡lez still out of favour, Torres will look to press his case as first-choice striker for Spain.
He doesn’t need confirmation for his goalscoring abilities, as his goals are speaking for him, but this is what Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said: “We all know Torres is in great form. The whole team is playing well but in the end we need Torres to score â€“ he’s the key.”
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona
- Manchester United keen to sign Christian Eriksen on a free transfer
- Darren Bent offers his view on Liverpool’s interest in Paul Pogba
- 2021/22 Champions League end of season awards: Best player, best manager, and more
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season