Owen Hargreaves’ career as a football player may be over after he limped off just 6 minutes after starting the match against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday afternoon to be replaced by Bebe. It looked like a hamstring injury after Hargreaves flicked a ball into the area. The match against Wolves was the first start for Owen after 777 days. He joined United on the 31st May of 2007 from Bayern Munich for £17 million and was presented alongside Luis Nani on the 9th July. For Bayern, Hargreaves made 145 league appearances, scoring 5 goals.
However, for United he played 23 league games in the 2007/08 season, scoring two goals, but then he was restricted by injury to just 2 appearances in the 2008/09 season, 1 appearance in 2009/10, and just 2 appearances (including the match against Wolves) this season. Prior to the attempt at making a long-awaited comeback from injury, Owen Hargreaves had stated that this will be his last attempt, and if it fails, he would hang up his boots. The official report of the extent of the injury has not come out yet, but if this injury is somewhat connected to the patellar tendinitis knee injury that has ruined Hargreaves’ football career, or another injury that keeps him out of football for a long time, then the match against Wolves on the 6th November will be the last appearance that Owen Hargreaves made in a Manchester United shirt and the last time he came out on a football pitch as a player.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit