The starlet of Uruguay Luis Suarez has been closely linked with a possible move away from Dutch giants Ajax and Manchester United are rumoured to be winning the race for the 23 year old. After successive seasons of prolific scoring in the Eredivisie, it will come as no surprise to most that the young striker has been linked with some of Europe’s biggest names.
So what will the striker offer Manchester United providing agreeing an inevitable hefty fee for the forward? Scoring 81 goals in just 108 appearances for Ajax isn’t a bad place to start. His eye for goal and lightning pace is clearly his forte, and defences all across Holland have been left scarred after witnessing the striker turn the very best back fours inside out.
His international record is proving just as exceptional for Uruguay where he has been capped 36 times, scoring on 16 occasions. Having formed a formidable partnership with a former United striker in Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez has gone from strength to strength and looks to be one of the hottest prospects for the future, something that Man United have taken a clear note of. At the age of only 23, he has already been named amongst a list of Dutch footballing legends for his goal scoring record at Ajax. He joins Bergkamp, Johan Cruyff and Marco Van Basten in an exclusive club for scoring over 100 goals in competitive matches for Ajax.
I know what you must be thinking, this is surely too good to be true. Well unfortunately in some respects you are right and he has been involved in several incidents that have put a cloud over a very bright prospect. As you may well have spotted in the recent World cup in South Africa, Suarez was at the centre of controversy where his deliberate hand ball played an integral part in knocking everyone’s favourites Ghana out at the quarter final stage. Speaking after the incident he boasted “The Hand of God now belongs to me. Mine is the real Hand Of God. I made the best save of the tournament.” He became the villainous figure of the World cup and gained more antagonistic qualities after recently gnawing his teeth into the shoulder of PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal, an incident which resulted in him not only being punished with a 7 match ban, but has been branded by newspapers in Holland as the ‘cannibal of Ajax.’
Sir Alex Ferguson will be sure to take the Uruguayans’ attitude into consideration before ultimately deciding to submit an offer. Frank De Boers reluctance to sell his prolific striker for less than 25 million may prove a significant determinant but if the Glaziers do what the Man United fans want, and delve into their pockets, then there is no reason why Luis Suarez couldn’t well be gracing the pitch of Old Trafford in the near future.
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Champions League last-16 predictions: Manchester City, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich favourites to w…
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Girona – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Roma vs Inter Milan – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- West Ham’s Said Benrahma on the verge of completing Lyon move
- Preview: Liverpool vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Carabao Cup semi-final second leg preview: Chelsea host Middlesbrough, Liverpool take on Fulham
- Promoted Trio In Danger Of Instant Championship Return