For the past few days, French side Lyon seem to have been in vantage position to win the race for the signature of Facundo Pellistri from Peñarol, with reports from France claiming the Ligue 1 giants are close to finalising a deal for the Uruguayan forward.
However, according to Italian outlet Calcio Mercato via Sport Witness, Manchester United have also been keeping tabs on the wonderkid for a while, and it seems the Red Devils are now seriously giving it a shot in this transfer.
Despite reports that the Red Devils are also interested in Pellistri’s compatriot, Edinson Cavani who recently left Paris to become a free agent, Calcio Mercato reports that the Premier League side have made a late offer for the teenager yesterday.
This was said to be a ‘written bid to Peñarol where United are proposing a five-year contract to him.
Notably, one of the issues about the deal with Lyon is Peñarol’s willingness to keep the forward on loan until the end of the year. Interesting twist to this according to Calcio Mercato is that Manchester United are okay with the idea.
The 18-year-old Pellistri has been impressive at his hometown club Peñarol and despite heavy reports of a transfer to Lyon, the young teenager could potentially become a United player before the deadline day.
Uruguayan journalist Sebas Giovanellihas has also said that a five-year contract with United has been agreed but the Primera División outfit have not yet agreed a deal to sell their teen sensation to Old Trafford.
Penarõl would prefer him to stay in South America until January when their season will be over.
However, United’s scouts have today negotiated to try and get ahead of their Ligue 1 rivals in the race, claim Calcio Mercato.
Pellistri who is able to play on the flanks, has registered a goal and two assists in 17 appearances this term, after breaking through last year with 20 appearances in their 2019 campaign.
- Carabao Cup Predictions – Round 4
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified