Real Madrid draw with Mallorca and BarÃ§a had a great chance to reduce difference to only five points.
Frank Rijakaard made just one change to the team which played in Germany (Sylvinho instead of Eric Abidal). BarÃ§a played first half well. They held the ball (around 70% possession),making loads of short passes,but I think it was a bit too slow.By the time Eto’,Bojan or Henry finally received the ball, they were already surrounded by Getafe players.Anyway, BarÃ§a had few great chances. After 14 minutes, Toure tried to shoot with his head from a corner, but ball came to Milito, whose point blank shot was well saved by Getafe keeper Abbondanzieri. A couple minutes later, Bojan,Henry and Xavi made a great combination, than Xavi passed to Eto’o, who shot against the base of the post. After few chances Henry missed, BarÃ§a started desperately trying to score, making few crosses to nobody.
Rijakaard made two changes at half time: Giovani dos Santos and Rafa Marquez came in for Samuel Eto’o and Gabi Milito.
Marquez didn’t show anything special, sending few long passes to nobody,but Giovani was active on the right side of attack. In 53rd minute,he cut inside and fired a low shot that,once again, bounced against the post.
Zambrotta was booked when it looked like it could be a penalty in his favour, but the referee saw it as Zambrotta looking for the foul. Gudjohnsen came on for Toure and immediately met Sylvinhoâ€™s free kick to set up Xavi with a golden chance but unfortunately for BarÃ§a the ball bounced slightly awkwardly for Xavi who was only able to push the ball against the post. There was then a great effort from Gudjohnsen who headed a Zambrotta cross downwards but Abbondanzieri was there to save with his feet.
As the game wore on Getafe also had their chances on the break, but Puyol dealt brilliantly with most counter attacks and ValdÃ©s was there when Getafe did break through. As the clock moved ever more quickly towards 90 minutes it became more and more desperate from BarÃ§a. Giovani had another effort deflected over, and then from the corner Marquez headed over at the near post.
The players really did give it everything today and problem wasn’t the commitment but more bad luck. BarÃ§a made so many good chances, but failed to score.I hope it will be better when Messi come back.
BarÃ§a: ValdÃ©s; Zambrotta, Puyol, Milito (Marquez 45′), Sylvinho; Xavi, Toure (Gudjohnsen 68′), Iniesta; Etoâ€™o (Giovani 45′),Â Bojan, Henry.
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch
- Mbappé and Foden to Hložek and Malen: The best young talents to keep an eye on in every side at the …
- David Wagner close to being appointed West Brom manager
- Gareth Southgate getting it right on racism as England manager
- Ilkay Gundogan on the radar of Barcelona