France won group E and progressed into the last 16 of the World Cup after drawing against Ecuador at Rio de Janeiro`s Estadio do Maracana.
A red card for Ecuador captain, Antonio Valencia, condemned Ecuador as the first South American team to leave the tournament.
France, who only needed a point to get through the group stages, made six changes from the team that won 5-2 against Switzerland,
One absentee was Yohan Cabaye who was serving his match ban for two yellow cards, as France looked to go eight games without defeat for the first time since 2012.
Ecuador`s manager, Reinaldo Rueda, only made one change from their 2-1 win over Honduras in his 50th match in charge.
This was only the second time that these two sides had met and from the start France dominated, even though there were very few chances.
In the second half, France continued piling the pressure on Ecuador from the restart.
Bacary Sagna crossing into the path of Antoine Griezmann, with only Alexander Dominguez`s instinctive save onto the bar keeping Ecuador in the game.
It was in the 49th minute however, when Ecuador`s chance of getting to the knock-out stages took a blow.
Antonio Valencia tackled studs up against left-back Lucas Digne, giving the Ivorian referee, Noumandiez Doue, no choice but to send the Manchester United man off.
With the French spurning more and more chances, Deschamp threw on Olivier Giroud and Loic Remy, as he looked to take advantage of the extra man.
But with keeper Dominguez in scintillating form, denying Paul Pogba, Karim Benzema, Olivier Giroud and Remy in the dying minutes, France had to settle for a draw before facing Nigeria in the next round.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit