France won group E and progressed into the last 16 of the World Cup after drawing against Ecuador at Rio de Janeiro`s Estadio do Maracana.
A red card for Ecuador captain, Antonio Valencia, condemned Ecuador as the first South American team to leave the tournament.
France, who only needed a point to get through the group stages, made six changes from the team that won 5-2 against Switzerland,
One absentee was Yohan Cabaye who was serving his match ban for two yellow cards, as France looked to go eight games without defeat for the first time since 2012.
Ecuador`s manager, Reinaldo Rueda, only made one change from their 2-1 win over Honduras in his 50th match in charge.
This was only the second time that these two sides had met and from the start France dominated, even though there were very few chances.
In the second half, France continued piling the pressure on Ecuador from the restart.
Bacary Sagna crossing into the path of Antoine Griezmann, with only Alexander Dominguez`s instinctive save onto the bar keeping Ecuador in the game.
It was in the 49th minute however, when Ecuador`s chance of getting to the knock-out stages took a blow.
Antonio Valencia tackled studs up against left-back Lucas Digne, giving the Ivorian referee, Noumandiez Doue, no choice but to send the Manchester United man off.
With the French spurning more and more chances, Deschamp threw on Olivier Giroud and Loic Remy, as he looked to take advantage of the extra man.
But with keeper Dominguez in scintillating form, denying Paul Pogba, Karim Benzema, Olivier Giroud and Remy in the dying minutes, France had to settle for a draw before facing Nigeria in the next round.
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco