Last year the world’s football eyes were all on Rome, Italy waiting for the Champions League Final, waiting for the showdown between Barcelona and Manchester United. There was also another epic battle that football fans across the globe were eager to see, two of the world’s best players going head to head: Messi v Ronaldo.
It was the perfect way to see who truly was the ‘greatest player’ on the planet, on the biggest stage in club football. And the history books will say that the little magician Lionel Messi was head and shoulders above Cristiano Ronaldo on that night in Rome. Messi went on to pick up European and World player of the year.
And in the summer of 2009, Ronaldo completed a world record £80 million pound move to Barcelona’s rivals Real Madrid. Again all eyes will be on La Liga to see who can acheive true greatness.
With the Champions League getting to the quarter final stage, the talks of potential winners is at its peak. Barcelona and Manchester United are the two names that are mentioned more than most, that because they have two of the best players in the world at this very moment, Messi and Rooney.
Both have been in fantastic form for the clubs this season and everyone would be eager to see both players head to head in Madrid on May 22nd. Rooney is without doubt in the form of his life for United and England, wheras Messi has picked up where he left off last season. Although we have the World Cup to look forward to, the game in Madrid would be a dream start to what will be a fantastic summer of football.
Both players strike fear in to opponents, they can win a game almost single handed and the best factor about the two players, they rise to the big occasions. What a better way to start our summer of football with the battle between Messi and Rooney.
Let the battle commemence…..
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide